Thursday, November 3, 2011

Sun-dried Tomato Soup

I'm not sure about where you live, but this morning mid-Missouri was greeted with rain with a slight bit of ice in it.  Yes. Ice. Rude. It's still officially fall weather, not officially winter yet, just calm down on that craziness please!


Yes. I am a winter-hater. I want my warm/temperate weather year round and a beach.  (Yes, I do realize Missouri doesn't have beaches, but if I had it my way, they would.)  So with all this nastiness outside, it means it's time for some comfort food.




Hello gorgeous.  You and me are going to be best friends.


I have to say, I was not a fan of tomato soup until I tried this one out.  It's hearty and chunky without tasting like you're eating a bottle of ketchup.  Of course it's best paired with a grilled cheese and lots of cheese.  


As for me, I will be staying inside and reading all day.  Don't get too jealous though, I will be reading law books.  Feel less jealous now? That's what I thought.
Hope you enjoy and stay warm wherever you are this day.


Sun-Dried Tomato Soup




Adapted from Food and Wine magazine




1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, sliced
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained but juices reserved
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 t dried thyme or 2 thyme sprigs
1 T dried basil or 1/4 fresh basil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup heavy cream - seriously. Use the heavy cream. It makes all the difference.  

In a large saucepan, melt butter in the olive oil. Add onion and garlic and cook over moderately high heat, stirring until softened, about 4 minutes. Add sun-dried tomatoes and canned tomatoes. Combine reserved tomato juice and chicken broth in a 3 to 4 cup measure. Add water to make three cups liquid. Add liquid to pot with basil and thyme. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer over low heat until vegetables are very soft, about 20 minutes. Discard thyme sprigs. 

Transfer small batches of soup to a blender and puree. And when I say small batches, I mean small batches; otherwise you'll have a very large mess. I only know that from experience. Return to pot and warm over low heat. Stir in cream and heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Yield: 4 servings.  Serve with something cheesy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment